2007-03-04

Berichtigung

I think that means "correction."

It turns out that my 1961 German-English Dictionary led me astray on my first vocabulary post, so I make no guarantees on this one. Be warned, my lessons may be the worst way to learn German.

I have been told, on good authority, that what was replaced in our kitchen was a "Wasser-hahn." Apparently, I should have looked up "water tap," a more British term rather than the American "faucet." I think Curt might have liked it better, though, if we'd had a Zapf-hahn installed, as that is a beer tap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does zwickl mean? Anything? Is it made up? Your discussion of objects that liquid comes out of along with the beer comment reminded me of one of my favorite New Glarus, WI beers - "Zwickl". I was told once that it mean 'spigot' in German. It sounded good to me, but what does the 1961 dictionary say?

Em said...

Too bad you didn't install a Zapf-hahn or maybe I really would come for a visit!